What goods and services, and with what characteristics, characterize ‘decent living standards’?
What are the energy resource requirements and related climate change impacts of ‘decent living’ goods and services, and how do they vary by country?
- Mastrucci, A.,
A Framework for Modelling Consumption-Based Energy Demand and Emission Pathways
Environmental Science & Technology . doi/10.1021/acs.est.9b05968
- Mastrucci, A.,
Improving the SDG energy poverty targets: Residential cooling needs in the Global South
Energy and Buildings . doi/10.1016/j.enbuild.2019.01.015
- Mastrucci, A. & Rao N. (2018). Bridging the Indian housing gap: Lowering costs and CO2 emissions Building Research & Information. doi/10.1080/09613218.2018.1483634
- Rao, N.D., Min, J., DeFries R., Ghosh-Jerath S., Valin H., Fanzo J., (2018). Healthy, affordable and climate-friendly diets in India. Global Environmental Change.
- Rao, N.D., Ruijven, B.V., Riahi, K., Bosetti, V. (2017). Improving poverty and inequality modelling in climate research. Nature Climate Change.
- Min, J., Rao, N. (2017). Estimating Uncertainty in Household Energy Footprints. Journal of Industrial Ecology.
- Mastrucci, A. & Rao N. (2017). Decent housing in the developing world: Reducing life-cycle energy requirements. Energy and Buildings.
How do the constituents of decent living, and their energy needs, evolve as countries develop?
- Rao, N.D., , Min J. (2018). Less global inequality can improve climate outcomes Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change, doi/10.1002/wcc.513
- Rao, N.D., Ummel, K. (2017). White goods for white people? Drivers of electric appliance growth in emerging economies. Energy Research and Social Science 27.
- Rao, N.D., Pachauri, S. (2017). Energy access and living standards: Some observations on recent trends. Environmental Research Letters, 12 (2), 025011.
- Pachauri, S., Rao, N.D., McCollum, D., Rogelj, J. Riahi, K. (2016). Policy trade-offs between climate mitigation and clean cook-stove access in South Asia. Nature Energy. Volume 1.
- Global exposure and vulnerability to multi-sector development and climate change hotspots. Environmental Research Letters, 13: e055012. doi/10.1088/1748-9326/aabf45
Byers E., Gidden M., Leclere D., Burek P., Ebi KL., Greve P., Grey D., Havlik P., et al. (2018).
- Rao, N.D. (2015). Human development in a climate constrained world: what the past says about the future. Global Environmental Change, 33, 14-22.
- Rao, N.D., Riahi, K., Grubler, A. (2014). Climate Impacts of Poverty Eradication. Nature Climate Change 4, 749–751.
- Rao, N., Riahi, K., et al.(2018).
A low energy demand scenario for meeting the 1.5 °C target and sustainable development goals without negative emission technologies. Nature Energy 3 (6): 517-525. DOI:
Grubler A, Wilson C, Bento N, Boza-Kiss B, Krey V, McCollum D,